The Alumni Center team is working remotely.In-person shopping for alumni merchandise in Rochester is temporarily suspended. Shipping for online merchandise orders may be delayed. Thank you for your patience.

1905 - 2000

Lorin Whittaker, M.D. (S ’37)

WHITTAKER, DR. LORIN D., SR.
East Peoria — Lorin D. Whittaker Sr., 94, of 500 Centennial Drive died at 9:05 a.m. Saturday, May 27, 2000, at ManorCare at Riverview.

Born Dec. 11, 1905, in Bridgeport to Joseph and Mary (Wickey) Whittaker, he married Bernice Dickerson on June 15, 1932, in Champaign. She survives.

Also surviving are one daughter, Marilyn Whittaker of Champaign; one son, Dr. Lorin Jr. of Peoria; nine grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by one daughter, Barbara, one sister, and one brother.
He graduated from the University of Illinois in 1928 and earned his Master’s degree from the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago in 1932.

He earned a Master’s degree in surgery from the University of Minnesota in 1936 and served an internship at the former St. Luke’s Hospital in Chicago from 1932 to 1933. He received his surgical training at Mayo Clinic from 1933 to 1937. He was a general surgeon in Peoria from 1937 until retiring in 1987. He founded Whittaker and Mammolito Surgical Associates.
He was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha medical scholastic honorary fraternity in 1932 and Sigma Xi medical research honorary fraternity in 1936.

During his years in practice, he was an assistant professor at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria.
He was certified by the American Board of Surgery and founded the medical department of LeTourneau Co., serving as its first medical director from 1937 to 1980.

He was president of Peoria Medical Society in 1962. He was a member of Illinois State Medical Society, where he was a founding member of the public affairs section. He was a member of the American College of Surgeons and a charter member of the Illinois Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, where he served as president.

He was a staff member at Methodist Medical Center, serving as president in 1954. He was a member of the staffs at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, Proctor Hospital, Memorial Hospital in Lincoln, and the former State Hospital in Bartonville.
He was a founding member of Mid-State Foundation for Medical Care and a member of the task force for the development of the Peoria School of Medicine. He was a member of the American Medical Association, the Pan Pacific Surgical Society, and was vice president of the Illinois Surgical Society.

He was a member of First United Methodist Church, where he was a lifetime trustee. He was a board member of the Peoria Chamber of Commerce from 1964 to 1969, and a board member of the Peoria Symphony from 1976 to 1982.
He was a board member of Junior Achievement from 1963 to 1970. He was a member of the Downtown Kiwanis Club, Bradley Chiefs Club, and participated in the 26 Million Dollar Drive for Bradley University. He was a former member of the Creve Coeur Club and the Country Club of Peoria. He chaired a task force of the Peoria Arts and Science to introduce art in the hospital to aid in the treatment of patients.

He was a member of the Masonic Lodge 386, AF&AM in Bridgeport; Mohammed Temple, Shrine; and the Peoria Consistory. He was a member of Stark County Farm Bureau. He was a member of the University of Illinois Alumni Association, Kappa Delta Rho fraternity at the University of Illinois, and Nu Sigma Nu at University of Illinois College of Medicine in Champaign. He was a member of the concert and marching band at the University of Illinois. He authored two books, “Laugh Away Your Tensions” and “How to Lose Your Tensions, Stay Healthy, and Be Happy.”

Services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at his church. The Rev. Dr. John Stanley will officiate. Visitation will be one hour before services at the church. Private burial will be in Springdale Cemetery. Arrangements are by Wilton Mortuary. (Peoria Journal Star, May 28, 2000; transcribed by C. Horton)