Mayo Clinic is committed to responding to all alumni patient referrals in an efficient, timely manner. Please identify yourself as an alumnus or alumna when referring a patient. This will ensure that your request receives priority attention.
To refer a patient, please contact the appropriate Mayo Clinic campus:
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz.
Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla.
Please have the following information available about the patient:
- Patient’s given (legal) name; if female, maiden name (if available)
- Birth date
- Mailing address
- Name of insurance provider and type of plan (HMO or PPO)
- Whether the reason for referral is related to litigation, a motor vehicle accident, workers’ compensation or other liability
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) or Unique Physician Identification Number (UPIN) of the referring physician
- Diagnostic information (symptoms, tests performed and duration of patient’s medical concern)
Tips for referring a patient
Please keep the following in mind as you consider making a patient referral:
- Patients with back pain must meet Mayo Clinic triage criteria for an appointment. This triage will occur during the phone call. If the patient does not meet Mayo triage criteria for an appointment, alumni may request to be connected to a Mayo physician for more information.
- Patients with unsolvable, lingering chronic pain (longer than six months) are often not pleased with a referral to Mayo — or their referring physician — when no help can be offered.
- Patients with chronic pain or those seeking a second opinion should be prepared ahead of time that there may be no further treatment options.
Alumni patient referrals are important to Mayo Clinic, and improvements to the referral process are continually being made in an effort to better support your request and your practice. Alumni satisfaction with the appointment process is monitored for ease and convenience. We encourage your feedback.
Please contact the Supervisor of the Referring Provider Appointment Office at 507-538-0425 with any questions or concerns.